As I usually do, I called into the hospital this morning to get an update on how Samuel's x-ray looked (x-rays are taken around 4 am) and to find out about any vent changes. The nurse told me that they had to go back up on one of the ventilator settings and that his x-ray looked more hazy than it has been this week. The doctors felt that it might be because Samuel's ventilator tube had come up some. The nurse pushed the tube back down so hopefully the x-ray tomorrow will look better.
The doctors increased his feeds again today. Samuel is almost on full feeds now. They are also adding extra calories to the milk to help him gain weight. Other than the feeds, the doctors really havent been making a lot of changes. The main focus is getting Samuel to grow and getting him off the ventilator. Dr. Arrington's plan is to begin steroids again tomorrow afternoon around 6. They will try extubating him on Friday. We REALLY want this to work!!! If Samuel doesn't do well on his own, they may try putting him on a conventional ventilator instead of the high frequency one he has been on.
It's been a stable day. Once again, I'm so happy not to have to hear the monitor alarm constantly. Samuel needed only 25% oxygen for most of the day. (the air we breathe is 21%) I think I'll be able to hold him again tomorrow....it's been almost two weeks.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Weight: 2 pounds 8 ounces