Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 61

Day 61
Weight: 2 lbs 14 oz

I'm still at home but I'm getting updates from Samuel's nurse every couple of hours. Since Samuel came off the ventilator, we have been carefully watching and praying about his CO2 level. Generally the doctors and nurses like it to run in the lower 40s - but Samuels has been running in the upper 50s. This morning Samuel's cap-gas (capillary blood test) CO2 came back at 47! That's the best it's been since just after he came off the ventilator 11 days ago.
Today during rounds the doctor increased his feeds again...I'm so excited that we've nearly met the 3 pound mark! I never dreamed I'd be excited about a three pound baby - it's amazing the things you learn to appreciate....
The doctors also decided to decrease his flow again. As I mentioned before, they have tried to ween his flow down but end up going back up on it. This morning they tried something new. Instead of inching him down on the flow, they weened it all the way to .5 - but increased his oxygen to 100%. The last couple of days his oxygen has been at 30% with a 3 liter flow. Carolyn, Samuel's primary nurse, said that today has been one of Samuel's best days. However, the true test will be in the morning when we see what his CO2 is. Hoping, hoping, hoping, hoping for it to be good!!!!
I'll be going back to Little Rock tomorrow. I'm so thankful that it's been a good few days for Samuel.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I got to see you & Samuel tonight! You looked as beautiful as ever & did a great job! I'm hoping others in your family got to see it also! I actually watched it recorded! What a wonderful blessing to have this family to pray with you & cope with these ups & downs together! We continue to pray for Samuel & the doctors direction! So thrilled to know you are getting rest & enjoying time with Michael, it will renew your spirit! Love the pictures of him getting to hold his son! Tears of joy! God bless & thank you for continuing to blog for us! Let us know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I was so excited to see the postings on FB of all those praying wonderful friends that got to see Samuel last night and are so excited...they are a part of this wonderful miracle and they see what God can really do...my friend sent me this today "My friend, when your heart is thankful toward God, you position yourself for even greater blessings!" I so believe this.

    ReplyDelete