Monday, April 12, 2010

Better

We are better. Thank goodness. Samuel was down on the oxygen - this morning he was hovering somewhere around 30%. On the x-ray, his lungs looked overexpanded again, so they had to decrease one of his other ventilator settings...which in turn made Samuel need more oxygen (right now we are around 38%.)
The doctors made rounds this morning and they are fairly certain that Samuel has pneumonia (caused from being on the ventilator.) They believe that the antibiotic he was on for staph had begun to work by the time they took the culture from his lungs - explaining why the culture didn't grow anything.
The nurse weighed Samuel this morning. He is barely under two pounds now. It looks like it will be at least ten days before they try feeding him again. It seems like every time we come close to that point, something else comes up, forcing us to wait longer. I'd like to think that there is a reason for it....maybe it's God's way of saying that Samuel needs more time before we try.
Another victory that I never thought I would celebrate - Samuel made a poopy diaper today. It is a great sign that his intestines are working. We just need to get to the point where we have more of those. He is being 'fed' intravenously at the moment. It is far from ideal because it is hard on his liver. Obviously, a lot of the issues we are facing would be solved if Samuel could eat and grow.
It's days like today that I'm learning to appreciate. No, everything's not right. No, Samuel isn't getting better exceptionally quick. We don't have the luxury in knowing how all of this will turn out. But we do know that each little success is a miracle from God......little poopy and wet diapers, coming down on ventilator settings (no matter how brief), every single ounce gained, the way that people seem to love him when they meet him (so many nurses have signed up to be his primary-care nurse...they are fighting for him.)
He is so beautiful...I can't wait to share him with you.

11 comments:

  1. We praise God for every bit of good news! Trusting that everything is in HIS hands. Praying for more good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! We'll keep praying & God will continue to answer! Thank you Lord for lifting Sarah's spirits & increasing our faith! We give you all the praise for all the wonderful things you are doing for Samuel!
    We love y'all & aren't giving up either! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I am so glad to hear some good news! We are continuing with our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you and Samuel:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, everytime I read this I just keep thanking God...He does keep His promises and we just keep holding on to them...love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am freed to know that my God is able. So I know if I don't get what I asked from Him, if I'll cooperate, I'll get something bigger. I'll know that a greater "Yes" is in progress..Beth Moore

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to rejoice over more good news. My heart is uplifted as I pray tonight. We walk by faith not by sight, but it sure is good to see these improvements. Thank you LORD for all that you are doing in and through Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, I know a lot of people who would like to meet little Samuel! It is sometimes the littlest things in life that are the most meaningful. The things that Samuel accomplishes may seem tiny to us, but they are grand for him. We have to remember that things happen in the Lord's time not our time...Somthing I sometimes have a hard time with. :-) God has his plan. We also have all fallen in love with Samuel more and more as each day passes as well. We continue to pray for his health and healing and for the doctors and nurses who care for him and well as for his mommy and daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah,
    I am praying today that his grace will be sufficient for you today and that in your weakness he may be strong.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just picture you smiling from ear to ear with each accomplishment Samuel makes!! I can't wait to see him!

    ReplyDelete