Tuesday morning my cervical length was measured at my regular doctor's appointment. It had shortened significantly - down to 1.7cm from 2.8cm. With the increase in contractions, the short cervix, and the positive test, my doctor felt that admitting me to UAMS was crucial.
Since Tuesday, I have been trying to rest through the contractions. I am not being given the medicines that delay/slow/stop labor yet. They are waiting until I dilate to give them so that we have enough time to get the steroid shots for Annalee's lungs.
There's a lot of pressure for me to get the timing right on all of this. My body does not seem to follow the normal pattern of labor and everyone is a bit unsure of how to tell me when the right time for the meds will be. In theory, the contractions should only increase in intensity until delivery. As of now, I can contract every minute for several hours, then every twenty minutes for the hour after that...and so on.
We are doing our best to take things one day at a time. I am overwhelmed, sad, and ashamed that we are in this situation again despite all the research we did before becoming pregnant. But at the end of the day, those feelings don't matter much. This isn't over. Annalee is safe for right now and we have every reason to be thankful for that.